Dr. Igor’s Lean Kofta with Hemp Recipe
Beef and Turkey Middle Eastern Meatballs with Hemp Hearts, Aromatics, Warm Spices & Soft Green Herbs
Total Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Baking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 30 meatballs
Allergens: seeds, tree nuts
Koftas are Middle Eastern spiced meatballs that are made with a mixture of ground meats like beef, chicken and lamb. My take on this flavorful dish is a leaner version that is gluten-free and paleo friendly! Pungent grated onions and aromatic garlic is added into a mixture of grass-fed beef and lean turkey, formed into balls and baked to perfection for a quick and easy protein packed meal.
Serve this recipe with some store-bought hummus, garlic yogurt sauce, pita or rice and a simple greens salad with tomatoes and onions for a complete meal that is packed with a balance of all the macronutrients your body needs.
Related: Ready to start cooking with CBD oil? Click here for a few golden rules to get your started.
Lean Kofta with Hemp
- 1 lb. of lean grass-fed ground beef
- 1 lb. of ground white turkey meat
- 2 tablespoons of hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons of grain-free breadcrumbs or almond flour
- 1 medium yellow onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-½ teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1-½ teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1-½ teaspoons of ground black pepper
- 1-½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of allspice
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne
- ½ teaspoon of ginger
1.) Preheat an oven to 425°F. Gather your ingredients, grate the onion, mince the garlic and then add everything into a large mixing bowl. Mix and make sure to distribute the flavorings throughout the meat so that the flavor is incorporated evenly in every meatball.
2.) Use an ice cream scooper to portion out golf ball sized meatballs and roll them between your palms. Lay them on a large baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake them for 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reads 165°F. Enjoy!
- Storing and shelf life: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Fry them in a cast iron skillet with hemp oil for a fattier version with a nice sear. Sear on medium heat for 3 minutes on each side or until the koftas are cooked through.
- Grill these meatballs for a smoky touch! Grill for 3 minutes on each side or until the koftas are cooked through.
- Drizzle with some CBD oil for an extra health kick!
- Are there any ingredient substitutions if I can’t find/don’t have certain items? Koftas are pretty versatile. Here are a few subs you can do in a pinch:
- ground chicken or lamb for ground turkey
- ground nuts or tigernut flour for almond flour
- green, white or red onion for yellow onion
- basil for cilantro
- chervil for parsley
- sesame seeds for hemp hearts
- paprika for cayenne
- white pepper for black pepper
Related: Are you new to CBD and still curious about finding the perfect dosage for you? Click here for a comprehensive breakdown on how to dose your CBD.